Morning latte and people-sketching. Yep, I'm the creeper in the corner drawing you without your knowledge, but it's all for the good of art :)
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Comments
Popular posts from this blog
What's all this Gesture Drawing Stuff, Anyway? The internet is full of tutorials on gesture drawing, and many of them are rather good, so I won't repeat that work here. Instead, I hope to offer a lucid explanation of what gesture drawing actually is, which is much harder to find. I think learning it becomes much easier if you understand the target, and a lot of the explanations I have found online are confusing and muddled. Let's see if we can't rectify that. Motion is something humans had never actually seen in detail until Eadweard Muybridge published his book in the late 19th century. Muybridge was an early pioneer of high-speed photography, and his book contained frame-by-frame stills of athletes performing various feats. The painter Francis Bacon heavily referenced this book for the figures in his paintings. However, this sort of high-speed motion goes by too quickly to be observed with the naked eye, so we are not accustomed to seeing it frozen in time. Because o...
Changing it Up Getting bored with my style, so I'm changing things up a bit. My uncle the lawyer (of all people) suggested taking a painting class, not to become a painter, but to learn things to expand my own style. This was a brilliant suggestion, so I'm going thru How to Paint Landscapes Quickly and Beautifully by Nathan Fowkes. For a variety of reasons, watercolor painting on location is not something I'm going to be able to do, but I can make color notes and paint it later, as well as work from photos. Here are some early attempts at thumbnails of desolate landscapes (from photos).
Working on Paper vs. Working in your Head In his video What does Your Imagination Look Like? , filmmaker Solar Sands says that our ability to picture things clearly in our minds is a bell curve. At the upper end are artists like Karl Kopinski and the late Kim Jung Gi , who can do most of their drafting in their heads. Kim, in particular, is the most astonishing draftsman I have ever seen, doing huge forced-perspective pieces without any reference or construction. On the other end are people who are unable to picture anything in their minds at all, and must work everything out on paper. Believe it or not, one man so afflicted was nevertheless a professional animator at Disney. This suggests that Kim's aptitude, while impressive, is not necessary to produce a good result. I myself am likely somewhere in the middle. I can picture what I want in my head, but it's a grainy, poor-quality image, and I often need to see some reference to get my imagination going. From there, it's...
Comments
Post a Comment